The “Curranulla” was designed and built by the well-known shipbuilders Morrison and Sinclair of Balmain, Sydney for the Cronulla ferry service owned by Captain Robert Ryall. The “Curranulla” was purpose built for the shallow and rough water of Port Hacking with a 3’6″ of draft. The 53′ timber ferry was constructed of carvel planking with clenched nails and was powered by a 66-horse power 3-cylinder K3 hand start Kelvin diesel giving a top speed of seven knots.
She was commissioned on the 12th May 1939 for the Cronulla to Bundeena ferry run and her engine was converted to a 5LW Gardner in 1986.
The “Curranulla” is now the oldest commuter ferry in Australia working to a regular timetable providing an hourly ferry service between Cronulla and Bundeena.